Many updates shared by WCA.
- Time for an out-breath
- Freecycle Success
- Bring a Log for the earth oven
- Outdoor Life Committee seeks new membership
- Current Volunteer opportunities around the school
- Upcoming Events
Please click “more” below to read the full text.
Thank you for the first few months
As we enjoy the out-breath of Thanksgiving break we can take stock in a vibrant first few months of school. We enjoyed watching our students make our earth oven. We enjoyed welcoming new families, getting to know them and putting them right to work rolling up their sleeves as cooks for our faculty lunches, some even taking on class parent roles. Rest up because when we get back from Thanksgiving we are going to live, eat and breathe our beloved Enchanted Fair which takes place on Saturday, December 14th kicking off with our 12/13, Friday night adult Sip and Shop. Don’t miss it! Here are some highlights of our recent WCA activity and some events to look forward to in the near future
Family Freecycle Success
We thank the teachers and students for so graciously sharing the Great Hall with our bins through one of the rainiest weeks of school this year. We outfitted more than a few children with warm clothes and shoes and we also managed to donate several wardrobes worth of clothing to our community partners for families in need in our greater North Shore community. Whether you donated, took clothes, loaned bins or folded clothes day after day, you made this event a success and one we wish to duplicate in the springtime. Thank you.
Bring a Log to help fire up the oven
As you may have noticed the shelter for the earth oven is underway and the oven is almost ready to be used. When you see our builder, Ken Katz, around campus be sure to thank him for his craftsmanship.
The WCA plans to fire it up and bake some flatbread on the afternoon of Tuesday, November 26th, a lovely departing treat before we retire to a long holiday weekend!
We would like to invite you to please contribute a log for our fire if you can. This will be the first of many fires so a supply of wood is desirable. Bring your log anytime between now and the morning of November 26th and place it next to the oven.
Thank you for bringing warmth to this community project!
Outdoor Life Committee (OLC) seek new membership
The Outdoor Life Committee (OLC) seeks new members. Learn more about this committee; see the OLC’s mission statement below. If you are interested in joining this committee, please contact Laura Freysinger at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Outdoor Life Committee (OLC) is a subcommittee of the site committee mandated by the Board of Trustees. The mission of the OLC is to improve and maintain the outdoor areas of our school with consideration for function, aesthetics and in keeping with the school’s mission to model good stewardship of the natural environment, we enjoy at Moraine Farm.
Our activities include monthly meetings (usually on weekend mornings) to discuss ongoing projects along with seasonal care of the pollinator gardens (seasonal planting, watering, pruning, weeding, and raking). The OLC also engages in outdoor projects such as restoring our Earth oven, converting the former gravel parking area into a pedestrian activity quad, and caring for the outdoor furniture and school sign (light carpentry, stonework, painting, and cleaning).
Membership is comprised of parents, faculty, staff, and alumni who need only have an interest in gardening and outdoor life. Expertise in these areas is not necessary. New members can join at any time.
Current Volunteer Opportunities Around School
The Enchanted Fair is upon us.
- Ask your class parent what your class will do to help with the fair.
- Plan to devote some time to volunteering during the fair. Set up on Friday afternoon and clean up on Saturday night are always fun and helpful.
- WCA is always looking for information about your town events. If you are aware of family-friendly events in your town, please let us know about them so we can share them with the rest of our school. Look for these events posted on the bulletin board in the community space. Write to us at email@example.com
- Outdoor Life Committee (OLC) invites you to one more Sunday yard workday on December 8th from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. Come on over with your work gloves and a rake. Children wishing to be helpful are welcome.
- December 10- Next WCA General Meeting, 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm (childcare provided free of charge)
- January 16th- Eurythmy for Parents, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- January 31- Next Faculty Lunch
- February 6th- Eco-Cleaning, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm